Terrier Club
NewsMembersCommunityPhotosForumsServicesMore

Message Board
Terrier Club General Forum

Warning Reply to this Message

  Click    to vote for your favorite post or photo
 From:  Message:
Moshe and Levi
Member PageMember Page
Nov 27, 2015 at 11:25
• Yoka
(Florida)

Post 14115

Warning Vote for this post

Dog Lovers Warned That Certain Peanut Butters Contain Dog-Toxic Xylitol

One of the most popular treats for dogs is peanut butter! Not only is the nutty spread included in many dog treat recipes, it is oftentimes licked straight off the spoon.
However, pet parents are being cautioned to be vigilant when purchasing jars of peanut butter because of a dangerous ingredient being included in several brands – xylitol.
The artificial sweetener is extremely dangerous to dogs and only small amounts can cause severe drops in blood sugar levels (hypoglycaemia), liver failure and death. One family sadly discovered this recently, when their pet ate sugarless gum.
According to Preventative Vet, they recently discovered several brands making sugar-free peanut butter but include xylitol as an additive. The website indicated that Nuts ’N More and Krush Nutrition’s Nutty By Nature both have peanut butter products that contain the canine-unfriendly additive and that there are potentially other brands that have sugar-free peanut butter that contain xylitol.
Please read the ingredients label on peanut butter to ensure that xylitol is not one of them!
Ingesting just small amounts of xylitol can seriously harm a dog. As little as 0.1 gram (g) of xylitol per kilogram (kg) of body weight (0.1 g/kg) can cause a rapid drop in a dog’s blood sugar with potentially fatal consequences.
Please share this important information with fellow dog lovers! Read the labels!!!


Report this post to moderator
Iver and Sailor
Member PageMember Page
Nov 27, 2015 at 12:10
• David
(Washington)

Post 6192

Re: Warning Vote for this post Reply to this Message Reply with a quote

Thank you for the warming Yoka
I used to feed Sailor peanut butter and peanuts
But his allergy tests came back and showed he's allergic to peanuts

Report this post to moderator

Moshe & Levi
Member PageMember Page
Nov 29, 2015 at 19:41
• Yoka
(Florida)

Post 14119

Re: Iver and Sailor Vote for this post Reply to this Message Reply with a quote

How sad that he was allergisch to peanuts. A very good thing you found out about it.
I only use Naturaln peanut butter but do not often
give the boys some.
Both of them get every month a flea medication with peanut butter with a pill in it. It goes in very well .the pill is big but I cut it and use each half with a
peanut pocket capsule.
I heard that in THE schools they no longer can take peanut butter to school because many kids are allerg to it also. Kind of sad so many children have allergies.

Report this post to moderator
Deb, Emmie, and Angel Kelsie
Member PageMember Page
Nov 27, 2015 at 13:07
• Deborah
(Pennsylvania)

Post 8100

Re: Warning Vote for this post Reply to this Message Reply with a quote

Thanks Yoka! You have to be so careful these days!
Love, Deb, Emmie, and Angel Kelsie

Report this post to moderator
Casey
Email
Member PageMember Page
Nov 27, 2015 at 16:40
• Theo
(Canada)

Post 2824

Re: Warning Vote for this post Reply to this Message Reply with a quote

Thanks Yoka, I just checked mine - Kraft (Canada) and it is made with sugar as the 4th ingredient... whewwww.

Not only did all our Westies LUV peanut butter but I also treat my squirrels, chipmunks and chicadees at the cabin with a little bit now and again.... never even thought of reading the label :(   I am very careful that they do not get much because of the salt and other ingredients.

If ppl only knew how Zylitol is made, I don't think they'd ever ingest it again...... I can't resist, it's made from the excrement of a certain bacteria.. Yuk!

Report this post to moderator

Moshe & Levi
Member PageMember Page
Nov 29, 2015 at 19:50
• Yoka
(Florida)

Post 14120

Re: Casey Vote for this post Reply to this Message Reply with a quote

Shocking and thanks for telling me what is in it. You have to be so careful now a days. I am angry too that we can't see on a label if it is a GMO or not. It all has to do with money and the big companies who has the power do not care about anything but making more money. I think we have THE right to know and it should be on a label.

Report this post to moderator
NimbySue
Member PageMember Page
Nov 27, 2015 at 16:40
(United Kingdom)
Post 15494

Re: Warning Vote for this post Reply to this Message Reply with a quote

Thank you Yoka for the information,I am always wary with treats...I give Nimby Charcoal biscuits  Hugs Annie and gang xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Report this post to moderator
Caesar and Murphy Latham
Member PageMember Page
Nov 27, 2015 at 19:31
• Louise
(Illinois)

Post 4921

Re: Warning Vote for this post Reply to this Message Reply with a quote

Thanks for the information Yoka.  I only use natural peanut butter.  It does not have all that extra garbage in it.  Louise, Caesar and Murphy at the Bridge

Report this post to moderator
Sir William
Member PageMember Page
Nov 28, 2015 at 08:42
• Allen
(New Jersey)

Post 1317

Re: Warning Vote for this post Reply to this Message Reply with a quote

Thank you for relaying this important info.

Love sir William ^--^

Report this post to moderator
Reply to this Message
Prior Topic Back to Forum IndexNext Topic


Back

Home

Index