Terrier Club

Message Board
Terrier Club Pet_Care Forum

What to do if your dog eats chocolate Reply to this Message

  Click to vote for your favorite post
 From:  Message:
Member PageMember Page Mar 13, 2008 at 18:09
What to do if your dog eats chocolate Vote for this post

Dog Care : After Your Dog Eats Chocolate The ASPCA, Susan
Thorpe-Vargas, M.S, Ph.D. The first-aid treatment for chocolate poisoning involves removing it from the body, quickly, before too much time passes and the theobromine has circulated, damaging the
gastrointestinal tract in the process. The treatment includes:

*inducing vomiting, which removes, and then administering * activated charcoal slurry, which absorbs. The sooner this is done, the less the
effects of the poison. That, in itself, explains the importance of dog owners having an emergency kit in their homes plus the knowledge for quick first-aid treatment. To induce vomiting, Michelle Bamberger in
Help! The Quick Guide to First Aid for Your Dog, Howell Bookhouse, New York 1993, recommends using three percent hydrogen peroxide,
one-to-two teaspoons by mouth every 15 minutes until vomiting occurs.

Alternatively, she suggests using Syrup of Ipecac. Use, she says, two to three teaspoons, only once. You can get Syrup of Ipecac at almost any pharmacy. You do not need a prescription from your doctor. Syrup of Ipecac is inexpensive and will keep for several years if stored at room temperature. After vomiting,
Bamberger says to give the dog by mouth activated charcoal mixed with water to a slurry consistency. The dosage is 1 teaspoon for dogs who
are less than 25 pounds and 2 teaspoons for dogs weighing more than 25 pounds.

Put Activated Charcoal in Your Emergency Kit. Toxiban Activated
Charcoal. The substance is a fine powder form of processed charcoal that binds to many types of poisons and can keep them from being absorbed into the bloodstream. This product isn't easy to find online.

Toxiban might be wise to have in your pet emergency kit because it also is effective in
adsorbing other poisonous substances eaten or drunk by dogs or cats. These toxins include, but are not limited to, strychnine, organophosphate and carbamate insecticides, herbicides, rodenticides, depressants and analgesics.

Some people have recommended burnt toast if you do not have activated charcoal on hand. However, at the University of Florida veterinarians
teach their toxicology students that burnt toast is not a substitute for activated charcoal. (See: University of Florida Vet Med Toxicology
Class ) In the event your dog has eaten chocolate, always gather as much information as possible. Note the type of chocolate the dog ate,
how much chocolate was eaten and approximately when your dog ate it.

Write this information down. Should you need medical help, your veterinarian will appreciate any facts you can provide. If you can't get this information quickly, don't belabor it. Write down what you
can. If several hours have passed between the time your dog ate a toxic does of chocolate and your finding of him or her, its possible that your dog is displaying severe symptoms. If your dog is having seizures or is comatose, don't delay, immediately take your dog to your veterinarian. On the other hand, begin administering emergency treatment and contact your veterinarian or call the pet poison experts at the National Animal Poison Information Center at The University of Illinois in Urbana.

Phone toll-free: (888) 252-7387. The Center provides
computer-supported telephone consultation for potential poisonings. There is a nominal charge.

If your dog doesn't eat enough chocolate to induce toxicity, but is vomiting (without your prodding) or has diarrhea, it's likely that it's the chocolate's high fat content that
is the culprit. Watch your dog carefully. You don't want him or her to dehydrate. Provide plenty of fluids. If your dog's symptoms don't clear up within eight hours, call your veterinarian. If your dog is
very small or young, call your veterinarian within four hours. A good outcome is likely if treatment is provided within 4 to 6 hours of ingestion. The effects of chocolate an linger for 12-36 hours,though, so your dog may require hospitalization.

First Aid Tools That Should Be In Your Home First Aid Kit:

* Toxiban: Activated Charcoal
* Dog Owner's Home Veterinary
Handbook: First Aid/Medical Reference Book -- Poisoning Included. By: Dr. James Griffin

Dog Owner's Digest

Report this post to moderator
Lynn and Chester Jo
Member PageMember Page Mar 13, 2008 at 19:33
Re: What to do if your dog eats chocolate Vote for this post Reply to this Message

Excellent information! Thank You!!

Report this post to moderator
Member PageMember Page Mar 13, 2008 at 21:42
Re: What to do if your dog eats chocolate Vote for this post Reply to this Message

Thanks alot for the info.

Report this post to moderator
Member PageMember Page Mar 14, 2008 at 00:02
Re: What to do if your dog eats chocolate Vote for this post Reply to this Message

Great info to know, thanks for posting it Robin. I've got it saved in my medical files now, and I think I'll order the book too.

I'm glad you stuck around after Mishy's passing, I still remember how sweet she was. Any chance yet of another pup joining the family?

hugs, Theo, Casey and Lance xox

Report this post to moderator
Member PageMember Page Mar 14, 2008 at 15:16
Re: What to do if your dog eats chocolate Vote for this post Reply to this Message

Thank you for the info. When our foster pup ate some chocolate we tried the hydrogen peroxide twice, but it didn't have an effect on him. We were in touch with the vet and we observed him for a few hours and everything turned out fine. Luckily, it was only two chocolate cookies, not a whole pound of chocolate and he came through it all just fine. This is good info to know.

Report this post to moderator
Member PageMember Page Mar 17, 2008 at 20:35
Re: What to do if your dog eats chocolate Vote for this post Reply to this Message

I hope no one's pup has to benefit from this information, but if so, I hope it helps. The CPCRN folks are so knowledgeable and always find some great resources. I have learned a lot from them and memorized the contents of their cookbooks, in case some day, I need to use the non-cooking "recipes."

I'm happy to be a part of this club. I love all your terriers like they are my nieces and nephews. Maybe, in several years, when I finish grad school and hopefully am gainfully employed, I can have a pup of my own.

Report this post to moderator
E Gang
Member PageMember Page May 17, 2008 at 08:36
Re: What to do if your dog eats chocolate Vote for this post Reply to this Message

Thats very useful information Thank you for sharing .Love and kisses xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Report this post to moderator
Reply to this Message
Prior Topic Back to Forum IndexNext Topic